Note: All surgical experience data is from July 2014 through June 2018 and is calculated by individual Current Procedural Terminology (CPT) codes.
I am an orthopaedic surgeon with a clinical practice focused on all foot and ankle conditions including complex foot and ankle deformity correction, limb salvage, trauma, and ankle replacements. Patients come to see me for a variety of kinds of conditions. That's one of the reasons I went into foot and ankle surgery. When it comes to treating patients, I try to exhaust all the non-surgical options first, because surgery can really intrude on someone's lifestyle. My passion is being able to reconstruct somebody’s foot when they can’t currently walk on it and allowing them to walk again. One patient story that stands out in my mind is of a woman who was involved in a car accident and broke her leg and several of the bones in her foot, and who lost some of those bones at the scene of the accident. She had seen several other providers, and they recommended amputation. When I saw her, I decided she would be a candidate for the new, 3D printed technology, and I was able to do a 3D bone implant, and now she's walking again. We were able to save her leg.
I am part of an orthopaedic foot and ankle team that offers expert care and treatment for foot pain and injuries and ankle pain and injuries. This includes arthritis, fractures, ankle instability, bunions, claw toes, diabetic foot, hammer toe, heel pain, heel spurs, ligament and tendon injury, plantar fasciitis, rheumatoid foot disorders, and sports-related injuries.
Surgeries Performed by the Foot and Ankle Team
Clinical Focus and Research
My research focuses on understanding the progression of post-traumatic ankle osteoarthritis from injury to end-stage disease and alternative pathways to improve patient outcomes. This includes stem cells and other biological treatments. I am also studying limb salvage, severe arthritis, and deformity correction options using 3D printed titanium cages. I have also started a 3D bioprinting lab devoted to biological printing of tissues which I think will be the future for limb salvage.
View Samuel Adams's publications on PubMed
Duke Health contracts with most major health insurance carriers and transplant networks, including the ones listed below. Before scheduling your appointment, we strongly recommend you contact your insurance company to verify that the Duke Health location or provider you plan to visit is included in your network. Your insurance company will also be able to inform you of any co-payments, co–insurances, or deductibles that will be your responsibility. If you proceed in scheduling an appointment and your health insurance benefits do not participate with Duke, your out of pocket liability may be higher. We will contact you regarding your coverage and patient liability. If you are uninsured, learn more about our financial assistance policy.
- Aetna Choice POS, Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna Elect Choice HMO, Aetna Open Access Elect Choice
- Aetna Health Network Only, Aetna Health Network Option
- Aetna HMO
- Aetna Limited Benefit Insurance PPO
- Aetna Managed Choice POS
- Aetna Medicare HMO Open Access
- Aetna Medicare Plan (HMO, PPO)
- Aetna Medicare Premier Plan (PPO)
- Aetna Medicare Prime Plan (HMO, PPO)
- Aetna Open Access HMO, Open Access Aetna Select, Aetna Open Access Select, Aetna Open Access Managed Choice
- Aetna Open Choice PPO
- Aetna PCP Coordinated POS Plan
- Aetna Quality Point of Service (QPOS)
- Aetna Select HMO
- Aetna Traditional Choice
- Aetna Voluntary Indemnity Group Plan
- Aetna Whole Health – Duke WakeMed WKCC
- Ambetter of North Carolina
Blue Cross Blue Shield of NC
- Blue Advantage
- Blue Medicare (HMO, PPO)*
- Blue Options (123, PPO, HSA)
- Blue Select
- NC State Employees Health Plan
- *Duke HomeCare and Hospice does not participate in the plan.
- Cigna Choice Plus
- Cigna Open Access
- Cigna Open Access Plus
Duke Group Plans
- Duke Basic
- Duke Select
- Experience Health Medicare Advantage (HMO) Plan
- First Health
- Gateway Health Alliance
Gateway Health Plan
- Gateway Health Medicare Assured Prime (HMO)
- Gateway Health Medicare Assured Select (HMO)
- Halifax Physician-Hospital Organization
- Humana Choice (PPO)
- Humana ChoiceCare (PPO)
- Humana Gold Choice (PFFS)
- Humana Gold Plus (HMO)
- First Medicare Direct*
- Medicare Part A
- Medicare Part B
- *This is for Wake County only.
- MultiPlan / Private Healthcare Systems
- NC Medicaid*
- *Not all Duke locations and doctors participate in this plan. Please contact the location you will be visiting to determine what is accepted.
- OneNet PPO
- Optima Family Care (Medicaid HMO in VA)*
- Optima Individual & Family (On & Off Exchange Plans)
- Optima Plus (PPO)
- Optima Vantage (HMO)
- *Duke Primary Care, Duke University Hospital, Duke Regional Hospital, and Duke Raleigh Hospital are not participating with this plan.
- TRICARE Prime*
- TRICARE Prime Remote*
- TRICARE Select*
- *Duke Primary Care is considered an authorized, non-network participating provider.
- AARP Medicare Complete (HMO, PPO)*
- AARP Medicare Complete Essential (HMO)*
- All Savers Alternate Funding
- All Savers Fully Insured
- State Employee Health Plan (for retirees)
- United Healthcare (HMO, PPO, POS)
- United Healthcare Charter/Charter Balance/Charter Plus
- United Healthcare Choice/Choice Plus
- United Healthcare Core/Core Essential
- United Healthcare Navigate/Navigate Plus/Navigate Balanced
- United Healthcare of the River Valley
- United Healthcare Option PPO
- United Healthcare Options PPO with Harvard Pilgrim
- United Healthcare Passport Connect Choice/Choice Plus
- United Healthcare Passport Connect Options PPO
- United Healthcare Select/Select Plus
- United Medical Resources (UMR)
- *Duke HomeCare and Hospice does not participate with the plan.
This faculty member (or a member of their immediate family) has reported outside activities with the companies or institutions listed below. This information has been reported to the health system leadership and, when appropriate, management plans are in place to address potential conflicts of interest.
- Arthrex, Inc.
- Ortho solutions
- Orthofix, Inc.
- Stryker Orthopaedics
- rti surgical